Saturday 15 February 2014

Valentines/Singles Awareness Day

So it seems the act of proposing has propelled Tom into a phase of romanticism never experienced before.

For the first time in four years, Tom declared he would make Valentines Day dinner for me.  This coming from a man who can barely cook himself 2-minute noodles when I'm not home.  Terrified doesn't even begin to describe my feelings towards this.

But I thought, I would let him do his thing and promised not to intervene/tell him what to do/how to cook.

While he spent a few days preparing for this dinner, I decided I would buy him some presents.  We don't usually buy each other Valentines Day presents or if we do we cap it at $10 but he bought me a pretty nice ring so the least I can do is buy him some nice things right?  11 nice things to be exact.


He slowly unwrapped his 11 presents and fell in love with his Brooks runners, Calvin Klein undies and 95% cotton socks (btw can anyone recommend a sock brand that has a high percentage of cotton and lasts a while?).  In return, he went to his soccer bag and fetched out an old USB charger and handed that to me.  If that's not love I don't know what is.

I watched tv while he prepared dinner.  He took inspiration from the 2 SA Mums on My Kitchen Rules and decided to make the scallops with panchetta and bitter greens (minus the blue cheese dressing).  I was waiting for my kitchen to burn down but it didn't happen.  Instead, this happened:


And then this happened:


His first time ever cooking steak and he cooked it better than I've ever cooked it.  He seemed upbeat until I suggested we implement a periodic 'Tom cooks' night at which point he claimed I was a better cook than him haha.

What did you do for Valentines/Singles Awareness Day?

6 comments:

  1. Wow that's impressive cooking! As for your present I see a bag of Haigh's- you can't go wrong there :)
    For me Mr Iowntoomuch got sick so I had to cancel dinner reservations (which is ok it's only a local place) and ordered takeaway from the same place instead. Also had some Bourke street bakery
    pastries for dessert. I think it's nice to do something on Valentine's Day without needing to go all out (not that there is anything wrong with that either)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh which Bourke St Bakery pastries did you have? I had their famous pork and fennel sausage roll the other day and I felt ill all day :S

      I would have been so happy with takeaway on Valentines!!

      Delete
  2. There is nothing more romantic than a steak!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He missed the best course - dessert! Friday we worked a a V-Day free zone till 11pm. :P Le beau picked me up, we were going to go for milkshakes but I fell asleep... Other than that a nice florist gave a me a free rose! Oh and roses at Flinders St were $20 each! - and yes I did see people (mainly the suits) buy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been much of a dessert eater so he decided to skip dessert.

      Oh I know, I was in the CBD on Valentines Day and couldn't believe the exhorbitant prices being charged for single roses. I saw on the news that some idiot paid $1000 for a bouquet of 80 roses. Ummm hello they are going to die in 3 days. Each to their own....

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment :)