Monday 14 July 2014

Failed shopping ban

After I put myself on a shopping ban (a mere 21 days ago) I returned a lot of stuff out of guilt.  Then as the refunds started rolling in I thought, maybe I do have extra funds I can play with....  so I bought a Kathmandu down jacket because it was on sale for $100 down from $280 and the sale was ending that day (which meant of course I had to buy it)!  Then I got sucked into yet another NAP sale purchase - some Lover items and a MBMJ skirt.

Then it was pretty much a free-for-all from then on.  A Mimco scarf, some Seed booties, a new Petites brand from the US I discovered (The Loft Petite), why not grab some Sephora goodies while I'm at it, oooh those boots I've been looking for forever on eBay and IN MY SIZE, I think I need a thermos to keep my food warm, blah blah blah.

I have discovered what my problem is.  When I'm unhappy with some part of my life, I shop.  I shop to make myself feel momentarily better; I literally shop my troubles away.  I haven't been happy with my work situation.  It started off fine, 4 months ago, and recently has turned horrible.  My job description has changed drastically and has become a role I am completely disinterested in (not to mention over-qualified for).  Every single hour is a struggle and I leave at the end of each day mentally and emotionally drained.

People are leaving all around me and I feel like I owe it to myself to stick it out, despite my unhappiness.  I feel like it's a reflection on me that I've had 2 awful work situations back to back even though I know that is not the case.

Right now I'm stuck between wanting to see out this contract (2.5 months) and wanting to be happy and having positive mental/emotional health.  In the meantime I shall shop!

10 comments:

  1. "Retail therapy" is a real condition. And it makes complete sense that you would get it when you are unhappy with work. Your purchases sound totally awesome and I would love to see pictures of everything. On a serious note, I am sorry to hear that your new job isn't turning out to be a good fit for you. My fingers are crossed you find a solution that makes you happy soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will defs post about the new purchases.

      Have even put wedding stuff on hold because I can't handle the added stress of that on top of work right now :( Kinda sucks.

      Delete
  2. Hi Kay
    Sorry to hear about the work dramas. I can relate to the retail therapy. If I think things are going a bit nuts with the 'gotta haves', I switch tack and browse things that I could be saving up for if I didn't buy X/Y/Z. Then I click over to see how my savings account is looking and convince myself that it's great having all the cash in the bank for the dream buy.

    Sort of works.

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SSG, I know retail therapy has always been an issue for me but the last few weeks have highlighted the problem.

      Will try your approach next time, thanks for that :)

      Delete
  3. A least you're not eating or smashing your feelings. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I was thinking about that when I was writing this post, at least I'm not a stress-eater. I actually lose interest in food a bit when I'm under pressure like this. But it is good to get it into perspective.

      Delete
  4. You're not having luck at the job front are you? :( That's horrible and I can totally understand.
    But keep calm and keep saving. How about another bank acct that you cannot access (or access with difficulty?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about another bank account but my current account offsets my home loan so I can't move the money into another account. I just gotta put my head down and get through the next few months and rant to you when I'm frustrated :D

      Delete
  5. kay, i'm so sorry to hear about your job situation. i had 2 awful jobs in a row and was worried it was me too. sometimes it is and most of the time it's not. you just need to find somewhere that fits with who you are. i stuck it out in both for as long as i could, but it really had an impact on my health. i didn't realise it at the time, but i was so stressed and unhappy in the last few months of both those jobs. i ended up getting a job that i was overqualified for and that didn't pay as much, but i was working with great people and i was so much happier! i hope you can work it out!
    also, do you exercise much? i find that helps a lot with stress. it might seem like an effort every time to get up and do it, but you'll feel 1000% afterwards. yoga or pilates might help you relax more?
    do you shop at home or at work or on your mobile? maybe you need to block the sites at work (or get them to block it for you!), fill up your time doing other things at home (like exercise or cooking) and delete the apps from your phone! unsubscribe from those emails!
    sorry for the long reply. i really relate to your problems! all the best!

    reckless abandon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jas, I really appreciate your input here. I can totally relate - I would rather be overqualified for a job and work with great people than do something I hate with awful work colleagues.

      I have actually just started bikram yoga and am absolutely loving it. I'm going back tonight for a second class. Last night after a particularly tough day I was dying to do some yoga so settled for Jillian Michaels on my tv and doing yoga in my loungeroom! Have also tried to walk to work (about 3.5kms) but it's been raining the past week in Sydney so that took a back seat. Back walking today since no rain!

      Kx.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment :)