Tuesday 1 December 2015

Settling in

It's taken three long months but I think I am finally settling into London life.

A HUGE part of that is finally securing a job - unemployment is an enormous factor in happiness when you're in a foreign country without your network of friends and family.  And job hunting in London is so much tougher than it ever was in Sydney.  For a contract role at a Telco I had 3 rounds of interviews, a psych assessment, a case study and a presentation.  Only to be rejected for an internal candidate.  So it's tough, but I have finally secured a contract with a retail bank in the UK and I start next week so I'm totally stoked.  I can honestly say that since securing a job I finally had my first decent night's sleep since March.

I've been slowly making friends and getting out a bit more.  Reformer Pilates has been my saviour whenever I've been frustrated with the work situation.  I've been pretty diligent with my home life - doing laundry, cooking, dishes, cleaning.  I have to admit I did let the eating habits slide a bit.  I was eating out of boredom which resulted in eating 5 meals a day and eating chocolate, pastries, cookies - foods that I never used to eat back at home.  It all came to a head a few weekends ago when I ate so much lunch I almost felt like throwing up.  I decided immediately that I would get back to 3 reasonably healthy/normal sized meals a day and it was surprisingly easier than I expected.

I'm slowly learning the names of the different tube lines and roughly where the main tube stops are.  I've started getting annoyed if I have to wait more than 5 minutes for a bus.  BUT I haven't started complaining about the weather (give it a few more weeks) and I certainly am not used to queueing for everything.  Brits love to queue.  Everywhere.  For anything.  I don't know whether the queueing culture has created a culture of slow service workers or vice versa but it's bloody frustrating.

I had been keeping a shopping list on my phone and I said to myself I would reward myself when I finally got a job (and also because when you're unemployed for 6 months, how do you justify buying all the fancy things?).  Of course my new job confirmation came at the same time as Black Friday and I may have gone a little crazy.  That's another post....

I have a few things planned for my final week of unemployment and if I stop being lazy I will actually blog about it.

9 comments:

  1. Ergh, they love queuing here in the US too. Like, for coffee, cupcakes, brunch, groceries...everything! They think nothing of waiting 1+ hours for a table for breakfast/brunch and I hate waiting so I just don't eat out at that time of the day anymore haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just bizarre. Do they not have other things to do with their lives than wait in queues?

      Delete
  2. Congrats, congrats, congrats. So glad life is falling into place for you in London.

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a tough 6 months but FINALLY. Thanks SSG :)

      Delete
  3. congratulations on getting the job! I can't wait to see your black Friday haul! I had to restrain myself this yes as I'm saving for a big Europe trip middle of next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh good on you for being restrained! Europe next year will be great - any idea which countries you want to visit?

      Delete
  4. Glad you are still updating on the blog so we can see how you are going :) Nice to hear you got something on the job front too. I just read your Black Friday haul post as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your persistence and it all paid off! A big congrats on landing a job in London! I particularly liked that purple coat you bought - LOVELY colour and looking forward to reading more of your adventures in London, take care :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely, Your blog is so information for us. I am ever seen like your efforts. That you brought a service for us, I am also bringing a Residential Roofing Services in Sandy UT. I think you also want to make your house secure from leakage. So, Get our service.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment :)